Freeport Man Denies Dangerous Dog Charges


Tribune Freeport Reporter


A 27-year-old man was charged in the Freeport Magistrate’s Court yesterday in connection with a ferocious dog attack.

Joseph Wallace-Whitfield, of Freeport, appeared in Court One before Deputy Chief Magistrate Debbye Ferguson on three counts, including possession of a ferocious dog, negligently causing harm, and causing damage. It is alleged that on May 7 at Freeport, Johnny Jones was attacked by a large number of ferocious dogs.

It is also alleged that on the same date and place, the accused negligently and unlawfully caused harm to Jones and caused material damage to his Dickie pants, valued at $40.32.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Debbye Ferguson asked what breed were the dogs, and Prosecutor Sergeant Veron Rolle said that the dogs in question were pit bulls.

Wallace-Whitfield pleaded not guilty to the charges. He was granted $900 cash bail on each of the three counts, and the matter was adjourned to July 3 for trial. He is represented by Paul Wallace Whitfield.

In other court news, a 43-year-old man was charged with possession of dangerous drugs.

Stephen Alexander Farrington, of Freeport, appeared in Court One before Deputy Chief Magistrate Debbye Ferguson on one count of possession of dangerous drugs.

It is alleged that on May 14, the accused without proper authority was found with a quantity of marijuana.

Farrington pleaded guilty to the charge and explained that a well-known local doctor that is not practicing had recommended that he smoke marijuana to help with his seizures.

He explained that he suffers frequently from seizures and had been prescribed many medications from the Rand Memorial Hospital, but none helped. Farrington said that he smoked marijuana for medical purposes and that he has not any seizures since.

Deputy Chief Magistrate Ferguson ordered Farrington to pay $150 fine. She warned him that this was second drug conviction, and granted him a conditional discharge.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.