0

'Reno' To Square Off With Irishman July 18

photo

Tureano 'Reno' Johnson

By RENALDO DORSETT

Tribune Sports Reporter

rdorsett@tribunemedia.net

BAHAMIAN pro boxer Tureano Johnson will step back into the ring in less than a month with an opportunity to regain a spot in the win column and claim a title in the process.

Johnson will challenge Jason Quigley of Ireland for the North American Boxing Federation Middleweight title in the 10-round main event July 18 of the Golden Boy DAZN Thursday Night Fights at Fantasy Springs Casino in Indio, California.

Johnson (20-2-1, 14 KOs) will look to hand Quigley (16-0, 12 KOs) the first defeat of his professional career.

The fights will be streamed live on RingTV.com and on Facebook Watch via the Golden Boy Fight Night Page beginning at 10pm local time.

“I am very excited to have the opportunity to fight Jason Quigley for the NABF Middleweight Championship on July 18 in Indio, California,” Johnson told boxingnews.com.

“Quigley is an excellent boxer with an excellent record, but I will come to the fight prepared to give and to take. I will give him his first loss and take his NABF Championship.”

In his last fight, Quigley defeated Mathias Eklund via second-round technical knockout.

“I’m excited because getting in the ring with these good fighters is going to make me perform even better. Looking to putting on a great performance. We are focused on climbing the middleweight ladder, and we’re on the road now to world titles,” Quigley said.

“That makes me excited. Tureano Johnson is a great fighter. He’s a tall fighter, and he’s got the repertoire and the armory. I’m expecting a tough fight, and I hope he comes 110 per cent prepared because I’m going to be 110 per cent prepared.”

In his last fight, Johnson fought to a surprising eight-round draw against journeyman Fernando Castaneda in February. The judges scored it 77-75 for Castaneda, 77-75 for Johnson, and 76-76.

“Tureano Johnson wasn’t at his best,” Johnson said after the fight. “I tried to please people. Castaneda did an awesome job. It’s been a year since I’ve been in the ring. It wasn’t an overlook. We came and prepared. I didn’t execute the way I should have. I wasn’t listening to my coach. Tureano will be back on television to show the world he has great talent.”

The fight against Quigley will be that opportunity Johnson has sought since then.

Prior to the Castaneda fight, Johnson and his camp were left with disappointment rather than a much-anticipated return to action in the ring in December, 2018.

Johnson was scheduled to face David Lemieux Saturday night in New York’s Madison Square Garden. However, the Canadian native failed to make the weight and was eventually hospitalised for severe dehydration.

Lemieux withdrew from what was intended to be a 12-round co-main event on the Canelo Alvarez versus Rocky Fielding card, broadcasted live on DAZN.

The Lemieux bout would have marked Johnson’s return to the ring for the first time since an August 2017 loss to Sergiy Derevyanchenko.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Sign in to comment