0

Religious Leaders Still Waiting On Request For 'No' Campaign Funding

By RASHAD ROLLE

Tribune Staff Reporter

rrolle@tribunemedia.net

RELIGIOUS leaders backing the constitutional referendum's vote "no" campaign are still waiting for Prime Minister Perry Christie to respond to their request for seed funding.

Their request for $100,000 was made two weeks ago but yesterday spokesman Kevin Harris said they have received no response.

Senate President Sharon Wilson, head of the YES Bahamas campaign, confirmed to The Tribune last week that public funds are fuelling the "yes" campaign.

And Sean McWeeney, chairman of the Constitutional Commission, has said that for legal reasons both the "yes" and "no" campaigns should have equal access to public funds.

During a pastors forum at Evangelical Temple last week, a representative of the vote "no" campaign said the group that opposed the gambling referendum in 2013 spent about $100,000 to promote their ideas, adding that a similar amount of money will be needed this time.

However, Mr Harris said yesterday: "In the interim, until we get a response from the government, we will pull together to determine how we will pay our expenses."

The group has not began soliciting money from the public but Mr Harris said this may soon change.

"After a specific timeline we will have no choice but to go to the public and request funds. We'll give (the government) until a week to get back to us before we do.

"The prime minister must know public funds are not his money."

Last week, Marco City MP Greg Moss warned the proponents of the vote "no" campaign not to expect the government to grant them their request for public funds.

When asked if the government should be sued over the matter, Mr Moss said a judge would indeed rule that the failure to give them access to public funds is unconstitutional but wouldn't grant them an injunction or award costs to the winner of the case.

Comments

TheMadHatter 3 years, 4 months ago

Let the pastors donate one of their big church buildings to BTVI or COB first.

1

hallmark 3 years, 4 months ago

If they get a response by next year June 7, 2017, that would be a miracle.

1

jusscool 3 years, 4 months ago

You'll probably see the Pearly Gate quicker.Don't hold your breath.

1

sheeprunner12 3 years, 4 months ago

You are anti-PLP and anti-pastor?????? ......... are you an FNM pro-business and legalist???

0

SP 3 years, 4 months ago

Well said. Truer words have never been authored!

0

birdiestrachan 3 years, 4 months ago

who is going to be charge of this l00 thousand dollars? and why do they need so much they may be surprise as to how many people will vote no..

0

licks2 3 years, 4 months ago

Birdie. . .I WIIL BE VOTING "ALL NO" AS A PROTEST VOTER AND ADVISING MY FRIENDS TO DO THE SAME. . .GOVERNMENT DENYING ONE SEGMENT OF THE NATION THEIR "RIGHTS" TO MAKE SURE ANOTHER GROUP GET THEIR "RIGHTS". . .WHAT ROT! IF THE YES PEOPLE GET FUNDING. . .GIVE THE NO VOTERS THE SAME CHANCE! THE MONEY IS PUBLIC FUNDS. . .THIS GOVERNMENT CAN'T SEE THAT? THE PLP WANT TO KEEP DOING SILLINESS UNTIL THE BAHAMIAN PEOPLE RISE UP AND DO SOMETHING DUMB?

0

Sign in to comment